IJPAM: Volume 115, No. 1 (2017)
TO TANGENTIAL STRESS AT THE HORIZONTAL
FREE SURFACE , Vempaty Somaraju, S. Srinivas
Department of Mathematics
School of Advanced Sciences
VIT University, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, INDIA
Department of Mathematics,LIAS
GVP College of Engineering (Autonomous)
Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, INDIA
, which measures the ratio of viscous diffusion to magnetic diffusion. In contrast to hydrodynamic Rayleigh problem, the transient dynamics consists of two diffusively growing layers as in the conventional MHD Rayleigh problem (see Dix ). The viscous Hartmann layer becomes steady soon, while the magnetic diffusion layer diffuses to infinity with Alfven speed. The electric currents generated in the Hartmann layer find a return path in the magnetic diffusion layer. It may also be seen that the free surface Hartmann layer is weak compared to rigid surface Hartmann layer.
Received: December 15, 2016
Revised: May 30, 2017
Published: June 29, 2017
AMS Subject Classification: 76W
Key Words and Phrases: magnetohydrodynamics, Hartmann layer, magnetic Prandtl number
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader. For more information and free download of the reader, see the Adobe Acrobat website.
- G.K. Batchelor, An Introduction to Fluid Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1993.
- E.R. Benton, D.E. Loper, On the spin-up of an electrically conducting fluid Part 1. The unsteady hydromagnetic Ekman-Hartmann boundary layer problem, J. Fluid Mech., 39 (1969), 561-586.
- G.A. Campbell, R.M. Foster, Fourier Integrals for Practical Applications, D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc, New York (1948).
- C.C. Chang, J.T. Yen, Rayleigh's problem in magnetohydrodynamics, Phys. Fluids, 2 (1959), 393-403.
- D.M. Dix, The magnetohydrodynamic flow past a non-conducting flat plate in the presence of a transverse magnetic field, J. Fluid Mech., 15 (1963), 449-476.
- W.F. Hughes, F.J. Young, The Electromagnetodynamics of Fluids, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1966.
- J. Pedlosky, Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Springer-Verlag, 1972.
- V.J. Rossow, On Rayleigh's problem in magnetohydrodynamics, Phys. Fluids , 3 (1960), 395.
- S. Vempaty, R. Balasubramanian, Ekman-Hartmann layer on a free surface, Indian J. Pure appl. Math., 18, No. 5 (1987), 442-450.
Source: International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics
ISSN printed version: 1311-8080
ISSN on-line version: 1314-3395
Pages: 13 - 25